top of page

Radon levels are commonly higher in basements, cellars and living spaces that come in contact with the ground. However, considerable radon concentration can also be found above the ground floor.


Frequently asked questions about radon and radon testing.

What is Radon?

Radon is a radioactive gas which occurs in nature as a result of the radioactive decay of uranium. You cannot see it, smell it, or taste it. Radon can be found in high concentrations in soils and rocks containing uranium, and in water from residential wells.

Once radon finds its way inside an enclosed space such as a home through small spaces in the soil and rock on which a home is built, radon can accumulate. Indoor levels depend on both the house construction and the concentration of radon in the underlying soil and well water.

The EPA recommends corrective action for test results of 4 pCi/L and greater. Studies indicate that as many as one in five homes in the Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts may have elevated radon levels.

How does Radon Affect People and Pets?

When air containing radon is inhaled, the radioactive decaying products of uranium can become trapped in the lungs.  As these decay products break down further, they release small bursts of energy which can damage lung tissue and lead to lung cancer. 

How Do I Test for Radon?

SAGE employs several methods for testing radon. One method utilizes a state of the art electronic Continuous Radon Monitor and the other method uses short-term (1-2 day turnaround) dual measurement devices. Both provide speed and accuracy and are ideally suited for time-sensitive real estate transactions upon which family and pet safety may be based.

What if My Radon Level is Elevated?

There are simple ways to mitigate a radon problem that are not too costly. Even very high levels can be reduced to acceptable levels. If your radon test results indicate the need for corrective action, the services of a qualified radon mitigation contractor should be obtained. For additional information or a listing of nationally certified mitigation professionals, visit

bottom of page